Biathlon – Quick facts
- Biathlon is a sport that combines cross-country skiiing and rifle shooting.
- The athletes compete in races where the contestant with the shortest total time wins.
- An athlete’s end time depends on their skiing speed, as well as on their accuracy on the shooting range.
- Missed shots give extra time or result in extra distance being added.
- The first biathlon world championship was held in 1958, and became part of the winter Olympic games in 1960.
- .22 caliber ammunition is used when shooting.